As a pedestrian, you have the right to feel safe while walking on the streets. Unfortunately, pedestrian accidents occur in Arizona more often than you might think. In fact, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation, there were over 1,700 pedestrian accidents in Arizona in 2020 alone, resulting in 168 fatalities and 1,499 injuries. In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at Arizona pedestrian accident statistics and what you need to know to stay safe.
What Causes Pedestrian Accidents in Arizona?
Pedestrian accidents can happen for a variety of reasons, but some common causes include:
- Distracted driving: Drivers who are texting, talking on the phone, or otherwise distracted may not see a pedestrian in time to avoid hitting them.
- Speeding: Drivers who are driving too fast may not be able to stop in time to avoid hitting a pedestrian who is crossing the street.
- Impaired driving: Drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol may have impaired judgment and reaction time, making it more likely that they will hit a pedestrian.
- Failure to yield: Drivers who do not yield to pedestrians in crosswalks or at intersections may cause accidents.
- Poor visibility: Pedestrians who are walking at night or in low light conditions may be difficult to see, especially if they are wearing dark clothing.
What You Can Do to Stay Safe
As a pedestrian, there are steps you can take to stay safe while walking on the streets of Arizona:
- Stay visible: Wear bright or reflective clothing if you’re walking at night or in low-light conditions.
- Use crosswalks: Cross the street at designated crosswalks or intersections, and wait for the walk signal before crossing.
- Stay alert: Keep your phone and headphones off and pay attention to your surroundings.
- Make eye contact: Make eye contact with drivers before crossing the street, to ensure they see you.
- Walk defensively: Assume that drivers may not see you, and be prepared to take evasive action if necessary.
What to Do if You’re in a Pedestrian Accident
If you’re involved in a pedestrian accident in Arizona, there are steps you should take:
- Seek medical attention: If you are injured, seek medical attention right away.
- Call the police: Call 911 and report the accident to the police.
- Gather information: Get the driver’s contact and insurance information, as well as contact information for any witnesses.
- Document the scene: Take photos of the accident scene and your injuries.
- Contact an attorney: Contact an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you understand your legal options.
It’s important to remember that pedestrians have the right-of-way in crosswalks and at intersections, but it’s still crucial to be cautious and aware of your surroundings. The majority of pedestrian accidents occur at intersections, so make sure to pay extra attention when crossing the street.
In addition to the steps you can take to stay safe, it’s also important to be aware of the laws related to pedestrian accidents in Arizona. Arizona follows a “comparative negligence” system, which means that if you are partially at fault for the accident, your damages may be reduced. It’s important to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you understand how this law applies to your case.
If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident in Arizona, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. An experienced personal injury attorney can help you navigate the legal process and fight for your rights.
Pedestrian accidents are unfortunately common in Arizona, but there are steps you can take to stay safe. By being cautious, following the law, and seeking legal help if you’ve been injured, you can protect your health and your rights. Remember, as a pedestrian, you have the right to feel safe while walking on the streets.
Smith & Green, Attorneys At Law, P.L.L.C. is a personal injury law firm with experience in handling pedestrian accident cases in Arizona. Our attorneys have a deep understanding of Arizona pedestrian accident statistics and the laws that govern them.
If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident in Arizona, our attorneys can help you by:
- Investigating the accident: Our team can conduct a thorough investigation of the accident to determine its cause and who is at fault.
- Calculating damages: We can help you calculate the damages you are entitled to, including medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Negotiating with insurance companies: Our attorneys can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to ensure you receive fair compensation.
- Representing you in court: If necessary, we can represent you in court and fight for your rights.
- Providing support: We understand that being involved in a pedestrian accident can be a traumatic experience. Our team will provide you with the support you need throughout the legal process.
At Smith & Green, Attorneys At Law, P.L.L.C., we are committed to helping our clients receive the compensation they deserve after a pedestrian accident. We offer a free consultation to discuss your case and answer any questions you may have. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you.