Phoenix Bus Accident Lawyer
Hurt in a Bus Accident? Here’s How a Phoenix Bus Accident Lawyer Could Help You
Using public transportation in Phoenix is the norm for hundreds of thousands of residents. What happens if you’re hurt in an accident involving a bus? Should you sue the driver or take on the city by yourself? If you have questions about how you should handle a potential bus accident claim, call a Phoenix bus accident lawyer at Smith & Green, Attorneys at Law to schedule a free confidential case review.
The Common Causes of Phoenix Bus Accidents
Phoenix bus accidents can happen for several reasons. The most common causes include:
- The bus driver swerving to avoid hitting something.
- The bus driver slamming on the brakes to avoid hitting something.
- The bus driver being distracted and getting involved in a wreck.
- The bus driver losing consciousness.
- The bus driver losing control of the bus.
- The bus getting hit by another vehicle.
- A pedestrian in the blind spot of the driver gets hit.
- A part of the bus is faulty and causes the bus to fail.
Phoenix Bus Accidents Can Be Complicated
There are various types of buses in Phoenix. Depending on the type of bus and what led up to the accident, bus accidents can quickly become complicated. A Phoenix bus accident lawyer can help ensure that the right defendants are held accountable for your injuries and property damage.
- With public buses, potential defendants include the city of Phoenix, the company that runs or owns the bus on behalf of the city, and the driver of the bus (depending on the cause of the accident).
- Private and charter buses are not intended for public use. Sometimes, the bus company may require you to sign a liability waiver before you can use their service. However, that doesn’t always absolve the company from liability if the bus is involved in a wreck. Possible defendants usually include the private company that owns the bus and the driver.
- A tour bus operates in a similar manner to a private or charter bus. They are hired for a private excursion. Naming the right defendant can be quite difficult in these cases. A lot of the time, it depends on how the tour bus was booked. If your group directly booked the tour bus, the company and the driver may be the proper defendants. However, if a travel agent or other person booked the bus on behalf of your group, that person may also be named as a defendant.
- School bus accidents can be devastating. Sometimes, the school district or school board is the proper depend. However, if the district outsourced transportation to a private company, that company may also be named as a defendant.
- Large vans that seat 15 passengers are an option that many people use instead of scheduling a private bus. They are often rented from a rental or leasing company. It may or may not include a private driver. Because these vans are so large, they’re often treated like a bus accident. Depending on the facts surrounding the accident, the rental or lease company as well as the driver may be the proper defendants.
A Phoenix bus accident lawyer can help victims sort through the confusion and determine the proper parties that should be included in settling or litigating the claim. Suing the city of Phoenix or a private company on your own is almost always a guaranteed failure.
A Phoenix Bus Accident Lawyer Helps You Protect Your Legal Rights
Bus accidents can cause serious injuries. These injuries can be permanent, require a lifetime of ongoing medical care or specialized care, or result in death. You could lose time from work, be permanently disabled, or deal with ongoing mental health issues because of the experience. Families who lose their loved one because of a bus accident can have the burden unexpected medical bills. It also results in a permanent loss of income, loss of companionship, pain and suffering, and paying for a funeral, burial, or cremation.
Recovering from a bus accident can take a lot of time, particularly if you have a serious injury. Studies have shown that an increase in stress can make it harder for you to heal. A Phoenix bus accident lawyer can be used to take on the stress of the legal situation for you. You can focus on getting better while the lawyer focuses on dealing with the other parties involved.
The lawyer’s job is to help protect your legal rights and explain your options to you. This is important because most bus accident claims are settled before they go to court. In theory, this is a good thing. Litigation can be stressful for victims. Settlement offers generally come from the insurance company or the legal department of the city or the company that owns the bus. Yet, settlement offers are often unfair and don’t fully absorb the costs associated with the injuries that you suffered. A Phoenix bus accident lawyer fights to ensure that you’re treated fairly and explains whether accepting a settlement is in your best interest.
If a settlement is not in your best interest, a Phoenix bus accident lawyer can explain the litigation process to you and represent you in court. However, starting a lawsuit isn’t always as simple as going down to the courthouse and filing a complaint. If the bus was owned by the city, there may be additional hoops to jump through before a lawsuit may be filed. This is where having a lawyer step in and take over will do you good and allow you to focus on healing.