Phoenix Criminal Defense Lawyer
Dedicated Defense Attorneys Helping You Protect Your Freedom and Your Rights
If you’re facing a criminal charge, your entire life hangs in the balance. A conviction could mean time behind bars, expensive fines, the loss of your current job, and difficulty finding a good job in the future. The right defense strategy is crucial to protecting your freedom and your rights. If you’re named as a defendant in a criminal case, contact a Phoenix criminal defense lawyer right away.
How a Phoenix Criminal Defense Lawyer Can Help You
You probably already know that a Phoenix criminal defense lawyer can represent you in court and advise you if you’re offered a plea deal. That’s not all that your lawyer can help you with. A Phoenix criminal defense lawyer can and should:
- Educate you on your legal rights. This goes far beyond understanding the basics about search and seizure and Miranda rights. This is about you knowing and understanding your rights before, during, and after trial. This is important because you don’t want to accidentally say something or do something that you shouldn’t. The police, and other officials, may try to tell you that they can help you if you help them. This isn’t always true. Never say or do anything on the premise of what they tell you they can do for you until you talk to your lawyer.
- Explain your legal options. A good Phoenix criminal defense lawyer can explain your legal options to you. They can also inform you regarding whether what’s being offered is fair or in your best interest.
- Look for instances where your rights may have been violated. If your rights were violated, the criminal court may be required to dismiss the charges filed against you by the state. Your lawyer should look at the facts surrounding your charge to ensure that the State did not violate your rights. The most common violations include improper procedure, lack of evidence for the charge or charges brought against you, unlawful search and seizure, and failing to read you the Miranda rights.
- Represent you through any plea deal negotiations process. If you’re offered a plea deal and both you and your lawyer know that going to trial would result in a guilty verdict, a Phoenix criminal defense lawyer can help you by negotiating a deal that minimizes the penalties against you.
How Long the State Has to Press Criminal Charges Against You
How long the State of Arizona has to press criminal charges against you depends on the seriousness of the charge. For example, there is no time limit for charging someone for an alleged violent sexual assault or murder. If the crime involved public records or public funds, there is also no time limit.
In general, if the State wants to press charges for a misdemeanor, they must file within one year. For petty offenses, the State must file charges within six months of the crime. For federal felonies, the State may press charges against you for up to five years after the alleged crime occurred. Most felonies, outside of violent sexual assault; murder; or federal felonies, must be charged within seven years of the alleged occurrence.
Questions to Ask a Phoenix Criminal Defense Lawyer
Choosing a Phoenix criminal defense lawyer is one of the most important things you’ll ever do because a criminal charge (especially if it results in a conviction) can follow you around for your entire life. It can make it harder for you to find a good job or adequate housing. You could even lose custody or visitation of your children. Criminal charges are not something that you should take lightly.
As you’re doing your research and making this important decision, ask the following questions:
- Is the criminal defense lawyer experienced? Knowledge of the system and the applicable laws is extremely important. This encompasses everything from being able to recognize if your rights were violated before you were charged, to how due process occurs, to understanding the rules of the court, to skillfully negotiating a plea deal, to zealously protecting your rights and your freedom.
- Does the lawyer understand how criminal cases are developed? This often comes from experience. It can also happen when a former prosecutor decides to become a Phoenix criminal defense lawyer. Understanding how criminal cases are developed is highly beneficial to client defense.
- Does the lawyer have a successful track record for similar criminal charges? Not all Phoenix criminal defense lawyers are created equal. Some have a lot of experience in DWIs, but they might not have ample experience in burglaries or drug charges. Make sure that you ask the lawyer about their history of success in handling similar cases. This is important regardless of whether this is your first charge or if you’ve been charged with a crime in the past.
Don’t Wait to Get Help, Call Today For A Free Confidential Consultation
If you’re charged with a crime, don’t wait to get help schedule a free consultation today. Call an experienced Phoenix criminal defense lawyer at (602) 812-4600. Your entire future is on the line.